Saturday, June 4, 2011

Mini Calzone - Great Starter

We had friends around for dinner on Friday and I had watched Lidia, from Lidia's Italian American Kitchen on Food TV, earlier in the day.
I was thinking of food, that would let me stay within my limit.
Unfortunately by the end of the night, I blew it with the wine...but the day before, I was well under.
So does that balance out?
I digress, these Mini Calzone were delicious and only 100 calories each. I had 2.
You may find the amounts strange but I weigh everything so I can calculate the calories.


First I made my usual Pizza dough
(which is 437 calories per 100 gms).
But I changed my method after watching Lidia.
This produced an excellent, very silky dough.
Using the food processor and not a lot of kneading on the bench.

2cups flour
1 tsp sugar
1 tsp salt
1 pkt yeast
1 tbs olive oil
200 gms water

Let yeast sit in warm water for about 4 minutes then add to food processor,
with all of the other ingredients
Blitz till a ball forms, you may need a little extra water so keep some on hand.
The dough should not be dry.
Turn onto lightly floured ball and press with your fingers turning the dough into itself.
Outside edge into middle
Do this about 5-6 times
Then make a nice ball
Into a greased bowl, cover and let it rise about an hour till doubled in size
Punch down break in two and then make into balls again for the second rise.
Cover, I use Glad Wrap spray with oil so as not to stick.
Once again... about an hour

Meanwhile make the filling

1 tablespoon olive oil
White part of the leek finely sliced  183gms
Baby Spinach 55 gms
Fresh Ricotta 104 gms
Mozzarella cut into little cubes 67 gms
Sea salt and Freshly ground black pepper

Saute the leeks in olive oil over medium heat
Season with salt and pepper
Add spinach and let it wilt
Cool
In a bowl add  Ricotta and Mozzarella
then the cooled vege.
2 teaspoons are 14 calories

Then roll out to a thin circle
and cut out circles

Put filling into  each circle and fold over to make a semi circle
Just rub a little water around the edge
and crimp the edges
Place on a greased baking sheet
Give them another small rising about 10 minutes
Spray with oil
Bake about 12 minutes @ 205C till golden brown

I handed them around pre-dinner.
Very popular
So the Leftover Queen went into action





There was leftover filling and dough so I used it for lunch today

I added some de-seeded tomato, some extra Grated MozzarellaAlso there was half a hardboiled egg in the fridge.
So let's throw that in as well

Fold over into a semi circle
Onto a greased baking tray
Spray with Oil
Bake about 12 minutes @205C
Great lunch and my portion was 556 calories
Only got 879 left so might be soup tonight.

No comments:

Post a Comment