Sunday, June 5, 2011

Brussel Sprout Soup - Perfect Lunch or Starter



On Saturday morning, I went into the fridge to clear it out and there was a packet of Brussels Sprouts, they were looking a little sad.
I nearly threw them out. BUT NO...Waste Not, Want Not. Just cut off the sad pieces and there was enough to make some soup.
I posted a recipe for Brussels Sprout Soup on my So Simple Blog 4 years ago, click here to get the original.
I adjusted it for Calorie counting, also I removed any Gluten for my friend JT to cook.
In the original I made a roux made from Flour, Butter and whole milk...I have replaced that with homemade chicken stock and a little cream.
It's important to cook the Sprouts until they are well soft so that you can make a lovely puree.
You may wonder at the Butter and Cream, but used in moderation, they are not that high in calories.
Also that little bit of sugar and lemon juice makes a difference, so do put it in. It cuts the slightly sulphorous flavour, that well cooked sprouts can give. Don't be put off with the aroma. The finished soup is wonderful.
I am making another batch this morning and I have increased the amount of Brussels Sprouts to 450 gms and Chicken Stock  1500 mls...but kept the same amount of butter and cream and there is very little difference in the calorie count. This will feed 4 people very well

Brussels sprout finely chopped 300 gms
1 spring onion finely chopped
Butter 50 gms
Chicken stock homemade 620 mls
1 tablespoon Massels stock powder

1 tsp sugar
1 tsp lemon juice
100 mls cream


Sauté sprouts and spring onions in butter
Add chicken stock, sugar and lemon juice
Cook till vege are very tender

Add cream
Whiz in blender

Serve.
There was enough for two people, with some leftovers.
We had some hot buttered toast with it.
Delicious
Dont panic about the butter
5 gms is enough for 2 toasts
That's only 36 calories. You have to miss out on the good stuff. Just don't be so greedy which is my normal problem. Ohhh and I do like my wine. Oh well.


Sunday, didn't want to go to the shop
Not enough soup for two of us for a dinner.
So I decided to make a Potato, Onion and Spinach Bake

So for two people
3 medium potatoes sliced finely 520 gms
1 tablespoon olive oil
Sea salt and freshly ground black pepper
2 medium onions  217 gms
74 gms Baby Spinach
Brussels Sprout Soup 334 gms
200 mls whole milk

Put the finely sliced potatoes into a pot
Cover with cold water
Add salt and bring to boil
Simmer about 5 minutes
Drain
Meanwhile Saute the onions in olive oil
cook till translucent
Season with Salt and pepper
Add spinach
Toss and set aside

Add Milk to Soup

Lightly oil a Gratin dish
Cover the bottom with a layer of cooked potato
Season with Black pepper
The the onion mix.

Next another layer of the rest of the potatoes

Cover with the soup
Press down
Bake at 180C about 45 minutes.
Golden and bubbling

You can make it elegant, by cutting out circles of the bake.
I reckon with an excellent steak, this would be fantastic

My portion was 482 gms and that came in at 457 calories
Filling and very tasty.
My intake for the day, 1639, including wine not bad.

No comments:

Post a Comment